Monday, April 19, 2010

Climb Out of Your Rut

Are you feeling like you are in a rut? Do you get up every day at the same time, have the same thing for breakfast, drive the same route to and from work/school etc? I know I wish I had a different route to drive home tonight. Someone once told me that they read somewhere it is good to vary your route to and from work. Makes sense. Living in Montana, we don’t always have too many options on routes home, how about changing your walking route. I like to walk through the neighborhood at work instead of the walking path around the Capitol complex. Just need to pay attention to those nasty tree roots that push up the cement slabs of sidewalk that have sent me flying and landing on my knees. Just a bit of non-essential information-I didn’t know that skinned knees were not de rigueur until I stopped roller skating on the streets of Brooklyn, New York.

I have found that positive self talk can help staying positive. Prioritizing what is important and once again, I sound like a broken record from previous blogs, take inventory of what we each have to be grateful for in our life.

· I have food in my belly
· I have a comfortable home
· I have everything I need (remember, there is a huge difference between need and want)
· I have wonderful friends
· I have a good job
And so on….

If you think you are in a rut, you probably are and recognizing any problem is always a good first step toward making changes. Next, you have to take action or the mere recognition of the problem won’t get it changed. Sometimes we are in a rut but it is a “comfortable rut”, this is an oxymoron. We can’t seem to find our way clear to take the necessary steps to gain momentum to make changes. Make small, realistic goals. Choose things easy to change that demonstrate positive results. Try adding one small item every day, if daily is too much, try weekly. Choose something you enjoy, you will be more likely to do it.

Need some ideas?

· Do you come home and turn on the TV for the evening? How about cutting down TV time and taking a walk with the dog? Get the family to go with you or a friend. It’s staying light out later now, take advantage. Start with 15 minutes, you might be having such a good time it goes to 30 minutes.
· Vary your workout. I got burned out using the circuit machines I was trained to use at the rec center. I first watched people using the other machines so I wouldn’t look like a total dork. I started to increase the number of machines I could use and varied my workout. It kept me motivated to go to the center and not blow off my exercise.
· Pick up a book, try a new author.
· Take a class at the adult education facility near you, or the local Y or community center or crafts shop. Sign up for a softball team. Take a yoga class.
· Try a new food each week. I rely on a friend who loves to take the time at the market to find new items; I stick to my list to get out of the store as quickly as possible.
· I liked this suggestion, play tourist in your town. I grew up in NY and had the best time when my husband had to travel there for work and I got to play tourist in my hometown. It was so much fun and I really explored places I hadn’t been to in so many years. I have met native Helenans who have never been to Miles City. What do Miles City natives call themselves? Anyone?
· If you have kids or grandkids, they’d probably enjoy seeing some of the places you played in the days of the dinosaurs (all kids think that, it’s nothing personal).
· Volunteer. Are you an expert in something? The local senior center or school will welcome you.

Maintain a healthy diet, exercise regularly, and get sleep. Those 3 things do affect your physical and mental well being.

“What do you want to let go of or leave behind in the old year that no longer works for you, and what do you want to keep that is still working for you?"
From a TV interview with Kathy Kinney and Cindy Ratzlaff authors of “Queen of Your Own Life”
I caught the interview on TV and this thought they shared from the book stuck with me and I felt it very timely with this blog. What a great suggestion for making life changes.

Get on your ladder and start climbing up and out of that rut. Take the first steps; the momentum of how good you feel will keep you moving in a positive direction.

“Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still.” Chinese Proverb

This blog will run for 2 weeks, I will be in Houston for training week of April 26. Watch for a new blog on May 3.

No comments: